Answering settings found from the survey Distribute-view allow you to define the survey schedule and set specific expiration time for starting and updating responses or editing submitted responses.
This feature allows you to improve respondent privacy and experience in different feedback processes especially when using personal response links. Then the respondent cannot e.g. accidentally show their submitted response to other people if they forward their invite.
By default all responses categorised as personal can be edited after being submitted as long as the survey is open. Glossary of responses that are categorised as personal:
- Email or SMS invites sent via Surveypal or Surveypal API
- Email or SMS invites sent via third party system that use an enriched Surveypal survey link with respondent identifier (link contains parameter &externalid= or &extid=)
Our answer setting recommendation for personal responses is to use shortest possible expiration time after response has been submitted.
By default a launched survey opens immediately and remains open until it's closed or a specific schedule is set. You can close, reopen or set a wanted schedule from survey status drop down menu.
Response expiration time
- Setting a response expiration time starts with selecting 'Set expiration time for responding'
- Set then the time units (minutes, hours, days, weeks or months) it takes for the response to expire
- Finally choose the answer state the expiration time targets
Glossary of answer states and how response expiration time affects them:
- response has been started - opening survey form from any link starts the expiration timer
- response has been updated -opening survey form from any link and changing survey page resets expiration timer for that response until next update occurs
- response has been submitted - submitting a response starts the expiration timer, works only with personal links since only those allow editing a submitted response
After setting the expiration time, all started responses and sent invitations will follow it. The expiration time will apply also to invites that are scheduled after setting it.