In Surveypal, we want to enable our users to create best possible surveys for their customers, employees and stakeholders. This means answering surveys needs to be accessible to respondents with disabilities. Surveypal offers the possibility to create surveys that fill WCAG 2.1 level AA accessibility standards.
Read more about accessibility here.
Note: to create accessible surveys described in this article, your organization needs to be using dynamic surveys. Learn more about checking your version of service.
Creating accessible surveys
Provided content and how it is presented affect a lot to accessibility. Here are general tips for creating accessible content:
- Use clear language and add descriptive headings when organizing content to sections
- Add descriptive alternative texts for images. Alternative text should be left empty only if image is for decorative purpose. Read more about how to create effective alternative texts here
- Do not communicate information by using only color in text or image
- Do not add flashing images or videos
Surveypal tool provides variety of accessible question types. Use these to create fully accessible surveys:
- Single choice
- Multiple choice
- Open field
- Number scale
- Image selection
- File upload
- Audio upload
- Image upload
- Video upload
Enforcing accessibility in surveys
Surveypal user can choose to ensure survey’s full accessibility. In survey’s Build -view select Settings, Restrictions and “Enforce accessibility compliance”.
When this setting is selected, inaccessible question types cannot be added and those added previously will show error icon. While survey has accessibility errors it cannot be published. Possible errors can be viewed from the “Accessibility issues” button located on the top bar in the Build view.
When building accessible survey, use the accessibility issues popup to locate the issues with question elements. Popup has description of each found issue and by clicking the show icon tool takes you to the exact location of the issue.
Removing inaccessible question types and adding descriptions to images and videos will solve the accessibility issues listed in the popup. Survey with no accessibility issues can be published.
Styling accessible surveys
Here are tips for making sure your survey style is accessible:
- Text and its background need to have enough color contrast. Check and adjust your colors for example with this tool
- Do not set text too small. Surveypal tool provides text content accessible size by default
- Do not justify text
- Prominent background images can be disruptive
- Do not add flashing images or backgrounds